Friday, July 08, 2011

Schaeffer: sin obscures relationship

For some reason my moment-by-moment belief in God falters - a fondness for some specific sin has caused me at that point not to draw in faith upon the fact of a restored relationship with the Trinity.  The reality of the practice of True Spirituality suddenly slips from me.  I look up some morning, some afternoon, some night - and something is gone, something I have known;  my quietness and peace are gone.  It is not that I am lost again, because justification is once for all.  But as far as man can see, or even I myself, at this point there is no exhibition of the victory of Christ upon the cross.  Looking at me at this point, men would see not demonstration that God's creation of moral rational creatures is not a complete failure, or even that God exists.  Because God still holds me fast, I do not have the separation of lostness, but I do have the separation from my Father in the parent-child relationship.  And I remember what I had

TS, p87.

No comments: