Thursday, July 07, 2011

Schaeffer: geunine communication with God

..."What is the purpose of man - if man has any purpose?"  And to that question the 20th century returns a great silence.  But the Bible says man has the purpose of loving God with all his heart, and with all his soul, and with all his mind.  And this "loving" is not meant to be vague or "religious", in the modern sense, but a genuine communication with God:  the finite person, thinking and acting and feeling, being in relationship with the infinite - not a bare infinite, but an infinite who is a personal God, and therefore communication is possible...

Thus now, in the present life, if I am justified, I am in a personal relationship with each of the members of the Trinity.  God the Father is my Father;  I am in union with the Son; and I am indwelt by the Holy Spirit.  This is not just meant to be doctrinal;   it is what I have now

TS, pp.67&69

No comments: