Monday, July 11, 2011

Schaeffer: real and psychological guilt

Then it is reasonably, truly, and objectively dealt with in Christ's infinite substitutionary work.  Now I can say to my conscience, "Be still!"  The real guilt is gone and I know that anything that is left is my psychological guilt.  This can be faced, not i confusion, but to be seen as part of the misery of fallen man...

A very practical thing for ourselves and for those whom we would help is that it is not always possible to sort out true guilt from psychological guilt...When someone comes to you  in a psychological storm, and he is really torn up, it is not only unreasonable but it is also cruel to ask him in every case to sort out what is true guilt and what is psychological guilt...

...My part is to function in what which is above the surface, and to ask God to help me to be honest.  My part is to cry to God for the part of the iceberg that is above the surface and confess whatever I know is true guilt there, bringing it under the infinite, finished work of Jesus Christ...

TS pp115-117

No comments: