Monday, April 06, 2009

#16 I Heard it Through the Grapevine

I'm no Marvin Gaye aficionado, but I think this has to be one of the nearest-to-perfect singles ever produced. I don't know what it is, but the atmosphere, production, understated backing...somehow it all works to perfection. That's it really.

Spotify
LastFm

Alongside its quality is, maybe, also that I first heard it in the way it was originally heard: on an old Dansette box record player, with a scratchy 45rpm single (re-released for the jeans commercial, and with a big hole in the middle because we could go down to Braddicks Emporium and by ex-juke-box singles for 10p!)

1 comment:

minternational said...

Totally agree. Great atmospherics; a worthy classic.

Interesting, your comment re. how it's best heard. Some songs/albums seem to be 'designed' for certain listening contexts - I can't imagine thinking very highly of, say, Avalon on a tinny old radio, whereas other albums/tracks are just great in that form.