Friday, February 20, 2009

#8 No Myth

Music became all pervading from around 1984 to the early 90s; it's not really much less so now, it's just that gradually it stopped being the thing which filled up the empty bits of my life - as Jesus, the Bible and actual real people began to do that. By 1989 this process was yet new and frail! So I was still buying CDs on a weekly basis, reading Record Collector, spending non-working Saturday mornings at the second hand record shop (I got a copy of "The Rock Encyclopaedia", and was reading through, buying stuff along the way) - and watching music programmes.

One morning I saw a video for a song, and went out and bought the CD. The album was March by Michael Penn (yep, Sean Penn's brother). It's a worthwhile and unusual album, and the single was "No Myth". What a great song. I have absolutely no idea what it's about, even after 20 years, but it's just great. With this chorus:

what if I were Romeo in black jeans
what if I was Heathcliff,
it's no myth
maybe she's just looking for
someone to dance with


and a bridge like this:

Sometime from now you'll bow to pressure
some things in life you cannot measure
by degrees;
I'm between the poles and the equator
don't send no private investigator
to find me please
'less he speaks Chinese
and can dance like Astaire overseas


What more could you want? Here's the track ; and here's the video - but please give it a couple of listens before watching, so you can get your own idea of it - the video sort of sticks in the mind. I saw it once 20 years ago, and can remember it (but then my head is like a useless- information magnet), especially the bit where you find out where the band is located...

3 comments:

minternational said...

I really like it.

The beginning really reminds me of something but I can't think what. Very 80s drumming (which isn't a complaint!).

I'm not sure I understand where the band are in the video - which, for its time, is pretty decent.

The Masked Badger said...

I have assumed they are living under the floorboards, Borrowers-style - mainly because at the end of the video, when the girl is shaking the salt (or whatever), it's falling on them as giant flakes...

minternational said...

ah, yes, I see it now.....some of us are slow to cotton on....