Wednesday, February 04, 2009

#5 Avalon

Same era as minternational's last, but a bit of a different style...

This could have been Streetlife or Oh Yeah or maybe Slave to Love - but Avalon I think is the one, if I was stranded (hahahahaha) that I would take from Roxy Music.

Nostalgia: I first heard it on Moonlighting, of all things, when at the start of an episode, everything suddenly goes to slowmotion as Bruce Willis, entering the office lift, turns to watch a woman pass him by and grab the lift ahead of him. I didn't know, but it was Demi Moore whom he had just married and was a kind of Hollywood injoke. But the music stayed in my head; and later when picking up a cheap copy of the Best of Roxy Music, there it was.

So for 20-odd years it's been a one of those atmospheric, laid-back but slightly (typically Bryan Ferry) bittersweet songs.

Anyway, Lastfm bizarrely links to some other song by someone else, so here's the video (which is OK, but doesn't help much).

5 comments:

minternational said...

Oh, you beauty - what a great choice. More Than This was lead-off single from that album but it's Avalon that really epitomises it. A classy, classy track.

May I be permitted a story? I remember being in Wrexham with my brother, Patrick, back in late May 1982 when he bought the album (on vinyl, of course). We were staying for a few days with the sister of one of his army pals. The reason for our trip was to watch Wales v. Northern Ireland in the Home Championships - I seem to remember the home team won 4-1.

Well, we also watched the European Cup Final during those days in Wrexham, at a pub run by the girl's parents (it won by Aston Villa, much to our delight). We then went back to the parents' home and watched a video - the movie Omen. I was utterly terrified by the reality of evil and sat there repeating endlessly in my head 'Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ', as a kind of protection. It wasn't until the following May that I came to faith in Jesus. The memories of those days in Wrexham are vivid, still. And Avalon always evokes them.

The Masked Badger said...

So happy and painful memory?

Hey, we're beginning to sound like two old blokes sat in the Home, waiting for the nurse to bring the cocoa round.

Worryingly, I don't care...

minternational said...

I like cocoa.....

Yes, painful in a way but because I can see what happened just a year later and the mercy that enfolded my life, there is perhaps more of a sense of happy resolution. I'm not sure i've explained that very well but it's a bit like reading a novel and getting to the end where everythhing has been sorted-out and the characters who had such a hard time during the book are now rescued and facing a hopeful future. That kind of thing. Sort of.

The Masked Badger said...

Understood perfectly.

minternational said...

Moonlighting! What a great show - the very mention of it conjures up that era with hardly any effort at all. Avalon seems a perfect track to complement it.