Saturday, February 14, 2009

#7 The Way It is

Somewhere between minternational's last one and John Reuben, lies the period of my life when I discovered music. I'd had bits and pieces and a fad of rock'n'roll prior to this, but somewhere around 14 years of age it started to take on an importance almost equivalent with books, as I wasted my formative years hidden in my bedroom. Listening to new stuff on Radio 1 (all of which would now only be played on Radio2!), joined the tape library and started obsessively pirating tapes, borrowing albums (likewise ripped off), all started here.

But this one I bought because I really liked it, and arrived home with the album.

There was something eery about the piano riff, and compelling about the virtuoso playing; the album seemed to waft warm American plains-country into my stuffy room; and the subject matter was really the first inkling of something which is now a big interest: slavery, the slave trade, the civil rights movement.

So here it is: redolent of the warm summer evenings of my youth!

And while I'm at it, I'd also recommend Across the River.

4 comments:

minternational said...

I cannot but agree with your taste on this one - really superb song and performances. Spinetingling from the first listen.

You conjure up a teenage scene that is so reminiscent of others', mine included. Have bedroom, have music, will sulk...err, sorry, reflect (on life and the deep issues of acne and girls).

The Masked Badger said...

And 3 albums and they were gone. Hornsby went off by himself to do solo material, and I've never heard it - though it looks like lastFM has got some of it, so now's my chance...

The Masked Badger said...

Although I've never had that big a thing about girls with acne. Does Natasha Beddingfeld have it then?

minternational said...

I simply couldn't possibly comment on that one - !!