Thursday, October 07, 2010

#3 March

Well firstly, the ones that got away.  We're so close to the end that it's now pretty certain some albums I would have on this list are not going to get Spotifyed in time.  So if you get a chance, check these out somewhere else:

Transverse City by Warren Zevon - for an album describing the future, it gets a little dated by reference to contemporary 1980s events;  but as this disturbing 'future' is really now, that doesn't matter too much.
Some Kind of Wonderful - my favourite soundtrack is a blast of 1980s slightly left of centre tracks, from the master of teen soundtracks.
The Brendan Voyage - yes, a symphony for orchestra and uillean pipes.

but in the absence of those it's this one:




I saw the No Myth video on the telly, saw the album in the shop and brought home a really odd collection of songs.  catchy, fluent, but really I have no idea what's going on half the time.  The same poetical complexity as Suzanne Vega, but repeated listens don't necessarily show a co-ordinating theme, though there may be some.  And some songs, like Evenfall, are straightforward enough.  But the overall result for me has been a really compelling album from Penn (yep, Sean's brother, honest).  As he is so unknown these days, and after the hit of No Myth, disappeared from the charts, I have heard no more - but it looks like spotify has a few more avenues.

B the way, the Spotify March has several extra tracks I have never heard. the original album stops at Evenfall, which is a great ending and I would recommend stopping there for the time being.

1 comment:

minternational said...

This one surprised me - by how much I liked it. You sent me lniks to No Myth before and I enjoyed it, lots; but the prospect of a whole album wasn't overly inspiring.

But listening proved me wrong. Yes, very 80s, in all sorts of ways, but that's not a criticism; on this occasion, it's a real strength.

Bravo!