Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Quick Review: A Room with a View

by EM Forster

Generally I find that books called "Modern Classics" leave me befuddled as to what gives them this status.  It's no different with this one.  I don't mean, as I might with some modern classics that, actually, they're rubbish.  I just mean: what is it that makes it classic?  Maybe I'll never know.  Maybe I just don't have that intellectual component.  Maybe, sometimes, maybe...they are some Emperor's new clothes involved.  But maybe not.

Anyway, I found this book a pleasant read with some very finely written passages.  I got the impression from the introduction that at the time of it's composure, it was literary suicide to write a book where boy meets girl, and no one dies in misery at the end (though many years later Forster wrote a little piece to bring the story up to date, which effectively solved that problem).

If anyone can tell me why it's a classic I'd be much obliged.

No comments: