Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Sophisticated people


I well remember a conversation I had with an elder in our church when I was a young pastor. "It's rather frightening," I said, "to preach to a congregation of people who are much better educated and far smarter than I am. Sometimes I feel intimidated." His response has remained with me throughout the years.
"You'll soon discover, Gordon, that many of these people can help put a man on the moon and build the most sophisticated computers, but they struggle to love their spouses, relate to their kids, and build solid friendships. Smart? Yes. But wise? Not really. Spiritually discerning? Don't bet on it! That's where you can make a contribution. Teach us to be wise and godly. Smartness isn't getting us that far."
Gordon MacDonald

No comments: