Friday, November 30, 2012

Quick-reveiw: Out of the Silent Planet

Sadly far less well-known than Narnia, CS Lewis' SF trilogy was one of earliest forays I had into both SF and Christian literature.  And when I say 'Christian Literature' I don't mean a conventional story where someone gets converted; I mean it's part of the weave - if you took the theological thinking out, the story would collapse.

Drawing on his knowledge of medieval cosmology, scientific understanding of the time (late 1930s) and his ability to reimagine Christian thinking in an alien context (as with Narnia) he spins an exciting, page turning and very thought provoking novel.

I enjoyed reading it for the first time in, probably, 30years.  And as he writes elsewhere, on second reading it isn't simply the story you notice but also (in reference to Last of the Mohicans) this time you get the feathers, the details.

No comments: