Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Quick Review: The Return of the King

Well, it's over.  After 25 years I read TLOR again.  And I'm glad I did.

The suspense was absent as I remembered most of what happened - although in this third part I had got some of it muddled. Having said that, I did find myself wanting to catch up on another strand of the story whilst following the present one (volume1 is a united narrative;  volume two divides into two;  but in volume three there are often three strands unfolding).

SPOILERS (little ones, but you might want to read with one eye closed)

So what stands out here?  Especially striking is the friendship and bravery of Sam, who tends to fade into the background in memory.  In fact friendship, trust, courage and sacrifice run throughout as possibly the most constant theme of the book.   Also, the intrinsic power of a noble King - to inspire overturn darkness, establish justice and to inspire loyalty. And in narrative terms, the co-ordination of the big spectacular battle (the Pellenor Fields) and the tiny movements of the Ringbearer, and how one cannot succeed without the other.

A big difference from my 17-year old reading, is that I'm no longer befuddled by the end.  In those days I think I felt "Hey, it's a magical world - why does this have to happen?".  But I'm older now, and the idea that darkness could wound one so badly that it cannot ever heal; and that there is an undying land of life and peace and rest...that all makes a lot more sense.

So last time, it was the epic scale, the internal consistency, the fantastical lands.  This time that was all still there, but also as a frame that hold a picture of the deep themes of life.

Yep: it's still a great, great book.  And I shan't wait 25 years again - currently I'm planning 5...

No comments: