Monday, July 05, 2010

Time alone and excuses

From Gordon MacDonald at Leadership magazine:

"What do you do in Sabbath time?" I am sometimes asked. I disappoint, I suspect, when I evade the formulaic answer. I discarded the gimmicks a long time ago. They didn't work for me. What became more important was outcomes. What do I do? Simple: whatever it takes for a renewed sense of conversion to Christ, a deeper awareness of the biblical way, an assurance that God's grace and power remain with me.
When I ask many leaders if there is time in their calendars for the pursuit of such outcomes, I get these kinds of responses:
  • I'm just too busy.
  • I don't have the slightest idea what I'd do if I took the time.
  • My mind is too full of thought; I can't concentrate.
  • I'm an extrovert. Being alone, being quiet, reflecting is not my thing.


  • It's boring.
  •  I don't get any immediate result out of it

No comments: