Wednesday, April 14, 2010

#11 The City


I only own two albums by Vangelis - people assume if you're a devotee of MO you must also have scores of Jarre and Vangelis.  Not so, different fish, different kettles. 

Aside from Bladerunner and Chariots of Fire, I was ignorant of his vast output.  But whilst at a friend's house I borrowed The City, and then bought my own copy. 

It's a day in the life of a city, not in vast metropolitan detail but in essence  - and I think it's well-captured.  Raised in the country, then frequently in cities, and now back to rural-tania, I have a sense of 'city': the movement, the anonymous sound of a million people in close proximity, the electric glow, the never-quite-alseepness.

Anyway, I'm not really a synth kind of person, but I love this.

1 comment:

minternational said...

Well, this was a nice surprise - an album I have also listened to on a number of occasions and rate highly. So I have to say it's a great choice - an album that achieves it's aim with room to spare.

My first prolonged exposure to Vangelis was the summer of '84 when I bought a cassette that had two of his albums on it - Opera Sauvage and L'Apocalyspe Des Animaux. Both were haunting and beautiful. You'd like them.