Thursday, June 04, 2009

#24 Takin' Care of Business

Firstly I'd like to observe that I have now, by June 4th, exceeded my total blog entries for the whole of last year. I'm not sure if this is significant, but I felt it was historical at least.

Secondly, there is a bottleneck forming now we're nearly at the end of our mid-life crisis stage 1. This was nearly Sweet Child O'Mine - I don't like Guns&Roses at all, but every band seems to have its moment (even Hawkwind had Silver Machine, ie one actual proper song in 40 years). But in the end I have settled for something that may well cause humiliation as BTO have been a joke in the UK ever since Smashie and Nicie.

Anyway, here it is: a slightly sarcastic look at the rock'n'roll lifestyle:
Spotify

3 comments:

minternational said...

Where on earth did this one come from? I mean, a man my age can remember (with a certain degree of fondness) You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet but you're so much younger. And I honestly don't know nuthin' 'bout Smashie and Nicie - can you enlighten me?

As for the song itself, it's quite enjoyable, not overly memorable to my mind (yet clearly yours does recall it) and....well, that's sort of it, really. Mid-70s rock with some nice guitar; is that Dave Lee Travis I can hear?

The Masked Badger said...

Well, I was compulsively buying music from about 15 onwards, which means that when I bought this (about 18) BTO had only been gone about 10 years. I went into a record shop and saw their greatest hits going for £8 and off I went to try it out.

It needs to be played on a bigger stereo with plenty of bass. And, ah, how I remember the closing years of DLT shows!

Also I would recommend listening to Down, Down; no idea what it's about exactly, but it's very mysterious - and very not like You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet; and on dissimilarity from that song, try "Looking Out for Number One".

Smashie & Nicey were a Harry Enfield creation - short slots featuring two old DJs who are somewhat like Fluff and Stewpot. And every single time they finish a sketch they play only one song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaQCr4PIsHE&feature=related

minternational said...

You have expanded my education to incalculable limits. My grateful thanks!