Monday, March 23, 2009

#13 Sold Me Down the River

Over halfway!!! So time to up the volume...

Change was three songs to long and got a bit samey, but was still good for at least two reasons:
1. It encapsulated the Angry Young Welshman, bitter at what had happened, but trying to find hope (eg A New South Wales)
2. It had several guitar-hero-I-want-to-be-a-rock-star moments.

Here's my favourite: Sold Me Down the River (only on Spotify cos I want the album version with the big instrumental break)

5 comments:

minternational said...

It really feels like this one came out of left field (even though I genuinely guessed correctly....). The Alarm have the feel of the almost-boys of stadium passion-rock; apparently they toured with U2 in '83, which would seem appropriate.

I liked the song but wouldn't go back for too many listens - I like it's energy and honesty (and played LOUD it's great!) and being Welsh they have my heart. But - sorry, lads - not my wallet.

The Masked Badger said...

I'm not sure I know what leftfield means....

minternational said...

Left-field is an unexpected place (it's probably baseball or American football terminology).

Just had another listen and it's a grower - a great track to open an album with. On the subject of which, it seems to me that album order is an overlooked art - some songs gain immeasurably by their placement; on their own, they seem lesser (speaking generally now, not Alarmist).

The Masked Badger said...

Hmmm...there may be some more ahead then...
If you listen to the second album track "The Rock" you will notice he keeps calling out Hiraeth...takes me back to Bridgend!

minternational said...

Hiraeth! Well, well.....a preacher at heart!