Wednesday, March 11, 2009

#11 Heartbeat City

Not really reflecting the depth of Minternational's last selection, this track is by post-punk new-wave electro pop The Cars. However, they were pretty clever and a lot of fun and (this is important) they barely moved whilst on stage, preferring robot arms with TV screens on them to do the visual dynamics. And one profound item in their favour: they proved you could be really geeky looking and still be a rock star and marry a supermodel (look up Rick Ocasek). For me, that was inspiring. Ah! The 1980s!

I liked lots of their stuff, but this is probably my favourite - one of those mood-moments I suspect, it's a staring-out-the-window, or urban commute in the dusk tracks.

Only on Spotify and youtube I'm afraid.

http://open.spotify.com/track/0a8IsvS3FmdKQKZZRrVdn7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOIfVvDeu24


(if you want a sample of their more cheerful stuff try You Might Think)

1 comment:

minternational said...

, I like that - definitely worth more plays. The mood & the movement are well done; I can see why it would have been a bit hit in the States (not over here though - tbh, this is the first time I can recall hearing it). The start is strangely reminiscent of Automobile Noise by The Blue Nile.

I remember them breaking into the UK scene with My Best Friend's Girl back in '79 (now that was a year to savour). And then Drive, a two-time hit (if you make no.5 and then no.4 with the same song a year later, don't you deserve an honourary no.1?).

A great choice, Badger.