Friday, January 23, 2009

Applying the Bible: Samson & the church mice

Since reading books to my children, I have discovered that 80% of titles are cheaply produced nonsense which I suspect are promoted by supermarkets and nappy companies. Thankfully there are many great books and I have gained several favourite authors - probably 50% of which are out of print (I don't think I will ever get another copy of The Tough Princess before my two are too old for it).

Anyway, amongst the truly great stories we have read, one of the most outstanding is The Church Mice books, which I remember from Jackanory in the 70s. Needless to say, being so good, they are, therefore, out of print - which is a crime. Originally conceived as a series of books looking at different buildings in a town and the stories therein, the first - which was set in the church - was so successful (and hilarious) that Graham Oakley just wrote and illustrated more of those.

Not only do children love it, and adults find a load of stuff in there for them, but they show that cats and mice can be very good at reading, understanding and applying the Bible. Arthur is a lone mouse in the church; but the church cat has been listening to the preacher and has taken a vow...


No comments: