Wednesday, April 23, 2008

the year of living sabbathly

Part of an interview with AJ Jacobs, author of The Year of Living Biblically:

What did taking a Sabbath do for you?

I had been a workaholic, so I would work 24 hours a day. The first thing I would do when I woke up was check my Blackberry. The Sabbath is a great thing, because the Bible is saying you can't work. You can't check e-mail. You have to spend the day with your family. It's a real smell-the-roses type of day. I found it to be a day for joy, for just really reconnecting with my life and realizing that work is not everything. I loved it, but it was a huge struggle. I had to do it in stages. I still practice the Sabbath now. I'm Jewish, so I do it on Saturday. It's a day where I spend time with the family and refuse to work.

CT Leadership 8/4/08
http://www.christianitytoday.com/le/2008/001/18.17.html

No comments: