Monday, April 28, 2008

Tolkien: Faerie and 'real life'

'On Fairy Stories' is a sometimes esoteric discussion of the subject - but towards the end of the essay JRRT turns his attention to the modern denunciation of the imagination. I really enjoyed this bit!

Not long ago - incredible though it may seem - I heard a clerk of Oxford declare that he 'welcomed' the proximity of mass-production robot factories, and the roar of self-obstructive mechanical traffic, because it brought his university into 'contact with real life'. He may have meant that the way men were living and working in the twentieth century was increasing in barbarity at an alarming rate, and that the loud demonstration of this in the streets of Oxford might serve as a warning that it is not possible to preserve for long an oasis of sanity in a desert of unreason by mere fences, without actual offensive action (practical and intellectual). I fear he did not. In any case the expression 'real life' in this context seems to fall short of academic standards. The notion that motor cars are more 'alive' than, say, centaurs or dragons is curious; that they are more 'real' than, say, horses is pathetically absurd. How real, how startlingly alive is a factory chimney compared with an elm tree: poor obselete thing, insubstantial dream of an escapist!

For my part, I cannot convince myself that the roof of Bletchley Station is more 'real' than the clouds. And as an artefact I find it less inspiring than the legendary dome of heaven. The bridge to platform 4 is to me less interesting than Bifrost guarded by Heimdall with the Gjallarhorn. From the wildness of my heart I cannot exclude the question whether railway-engineers, if they had been brought up on more fantasy, might have done better with all their abundant means than they commonly do. Fairy-stories might be, I guess, better Masters of Arts than the academic person I have referred to.

Much that he (I must suppose) and others (certainly) would call 'serious' literature is no more than play under a glass roof by the side of a municipal swimming bath. Fairy tales may invent monsters that fly the air or dwell in the deep, but at least they do not try to escape from heaven or the sea.


JRR Tolkien, Tree and Leaf, p.62-63

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Badger,

Since I've been reading your other blog I've forgotten to check this one. I love this section of Tolkien's essay, or speech, too! When I taught world lit to jr and sr high kids we read most of this essay together and discussed it at length. They were all quite amazed that a grown man would think so deeply about what they considered to be just stories for kids. It was so much fun seeing them begin to consider the use of imagination as more than just useless child's play.

Doug