Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Thoughts on the Lord's Prayer

I think in free-churches there has been a movement away from reciting the Lord's Prayer in congregational worship. This has been going on now for many years. I understand why: we don't want to get caught in meaningless routine. But I also find it interesting to consider how often I have heard the forlorn cry "I'm struggling with prayer - I just don't know what to pray about!"

Granted that speaking to God should be more than just repeating the Lord's Prayer (Jesus couldn't have taken all night just to pray these sentences), it is yet Christ's direct response to the request for help in praying. This is the way we pray. These are the 'headings', the structure of prayer for Christians.

Perhaps we could say this: the Lord's prayer lists the titles of the chapters, and we write the book with our prayers.

If we memorise and repeat the chapter headings, then we always will know what we should pray.

No comments: