Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Endeavour: choosing work

Christians should be aware of this revolutionary understanding of the purpose of their work in the world.  We are not to choose jobs and conduct our work to fulfil ourselves and accrue power, for to be called by God to do something is empowering enough.  We are to work as a way of service to God and our neighbour, and so we should both choose and conduct our work in accordance with that purpose.  The question regarding our choice of work is no longer "what will make me the most money and give me the most status?"  the question must be "how, with my existing abilities and opportunities, can I be of greatest service to other people, knowing what I do of God's will and of human need?"

Keller, ...Endeavour....p67


NB I like this quote, but it does suggest to me an observation about the book - which is it doesn't perhaps say so much about work as a means simply of providing for oneself/family;  and (though I think he mentions this somewhere) the freedom to choose one's employment depends also on one's geographical and social position.  Maybe. (great book though).

No comments: