Tuesday, November 08, 2011

The Books #8 - Amusing Ourselves to Death

Cor me and Dickie have really let this one go....

Anyway, not a Christian book or even a religious book this time, but I think one of the best books I have ever read with profound implications on how we live as humans, Christians, and Bible teachers.




Neil Postman's book was published in 1985, which means he misses the entire internet age.  But this study of media, entertainment, and the trade-off that new technology always produces, is so timeless it feels utterly relevant now (that's not to say I would not, if one appeared, immediately buy a study on the internet produced by Postman.  I would.)

Postman is a writer of clarity extraordinaire, and no words are wasted in this volume as he reveals how a shift in technology (primarily TV here) produces a shift in the way we think and live - but usually we don't notice and go blindly on

Prepare yourself for revelations galore about the way you view the world because of the technology you appropriate.  Sheer brilliance.

1 comment:

minternational said...

Your frequent quotations have made me feel it's a must-read. But I don't expect to find it funny.....