Friday, June 11, 2010

#8 Drama



Well it had to happen sometime, much I am sure to Minty's depressed prediction, but this is a Yes album.

In my defence, it's not a 'normal' Yes album - it's not from the 'golden era' of side-long songs and completely incomprehensible Anderson lyrics.  In fact it had a ll gone a bit wrong by this time, with Anderson and Wakeman leaving, and Trevor Horn (soon to be Buggles) drafted in.  But neither is it the Yes-gone-pop of 90125 (though I like that one too).

It's somewhere between classic Yes and pop-yes.  For me, Machine Messiah is OK, but it's Does it Really Happen and especially Into the Lens which lift this to desert-island status, with Tempus Fugit finishing well.

Go on Minty, let yourself go........

2 comments:

minternational said...

Yes; it had to happen. I dreaded the moment and then it was here. What can I say but 'ugh!'. In fairness, the more I listened the less I disliked it (but we're talking 'relative', y'know...).

I think I can see why you might like it. I never got into the lyrics, as such, and found it musically a bit impenetrable - but probably less so than some of their other stuff, if reviews are anything to go by.

Still, at least this list is expanding my 'appreciation' of what's out there.

(Do I qualify for the award for 'least disparaging response to a YES album by a genuine human being'?)

The Masked Badger said...

Well, I knew you would struggle with it. And I didn't put it on to annoy you, I really like the album!