Tuesday, March 02, 2010

#14 Last Days of the Century



A change of direction both from Oldfield and Minty's jazz.

Al Stewart is a bit of a legend, but not because of this album.  It's got rather too much synth and is a bit too poppy in many ways. But I'd take it with me to my desert island because of the imaginative vistas it conjours. As usual, the historical references and allusions abound, not always I have to say in a way that makes sense. But it's a breath of fresh air from the usual grist of the pop mill.

The opening track feels a bit like Year of the Cat without the depth.  But after that favourites include Red Tope, Licence to Steal (an attack on lawyers), Josephine Baker (love it) and the extended metaphor of Antarctica.   Spotify also provides the bonus track about Helen of Troy (there's a phrase you don't often hear)

1 comment:

minternational said...

I guess it's just one of those things...but I don't particularly 'get' it. Maybe I ought to take some more time to read the lyrics over, they seem quite clever. But, although clever and pleasant (what a stinging criticism!) it hasn't grabbed me.

Sorry!