Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Luther: texts for times

Do you think that some passages in the Bible only really make sense to us when we go through certain experiences? I'm thinking here of how I did not notice how much suffering there was in the first third of the Psalms until I read it whilst concurrently suffering - and then it came home to me. I mention that because I thought about this from Tabletalk (111)

The second Psalm is one of the best Psalms. I love that Psalm with my heart. It strikes and flashes valiantly amongst kings, princes, counsellors, judges, etc. If what this Psalm says be true, then are the allegations and aims of the papists stark lies and folly. If I were as our Lord God, and had committed the government to my son, as he to his Son, and these vile people were as disobedient as they now be, I would knock the world in pieces.

And how this must have hit home to Luther as he faced down Kings and rulers - but the image of Jesus sorting out Kings has remained pretty remote from my feelings, until I saw today how it must have touched Luther as he refused to back down to Princes and Popes.

No comments: