Thursday, November 12, 2009

#4 The Complete Works...


of George Herbert.

I think there is so much to say about this man, that I will say very little instead, as I need to go to bed at some point. Why would I take this to my island?

Firstly, he was a genius. His use of imagery, rhyme, rhyme-schemes, the shape of the poem itself, interweave like a complex dance. On first reading I find I understand little of what is going on - it's just a load of words, communicating little. But repeated readings reveal a depth of exploration of a subject and expression of its heart that is stunning. The sense of what he is saying is not simply stated in the lines of verse; it's in the words chosen, the structure, the way phrases resonate, and in the poem as a whole.

Second, he understands the frailty of the human heart, the grace and strength of God, the source of life. He never downplays the mysteries of providence, the unanswerable questions; but he always finds refuge in repentance and grace.

If you want some examples, then just click on Herbert in the tags.

The Everyman edition, as well as being the usual high quality hardback at barely more than the price of a paperback, also contains (and as yet I have not read these parts) Herbert's collection of proverbs, his advice to clergy and Izaac Walton's biographical sketch.

Herbert was really the doorway for me in appreciating poetry; but not simply a door to other things. His genius is such that he is, for me, warp and woof of true poetry,.

2 comments:

minternational said...

Bravo! What a super recommendation - I have some kind of volume of his and have dipped in from time to time, but your great review makes me think: it's time to get a nice, clear copy of his works and soak.

Doug P. Baker said...

George Herbert, ahhhh! What an excellent choice!