Thursday, October 22, 2009

Keller: disappointment v idolatry

Q: Is it necessary to suffer disappointment before seeing that idols don't satisfy?

I fear you may be right. I don't want that to be true. Very often it's much stronger than disappointment. It's hard for me to look at a young person and know what their idols are, because usually something has to happen in their life to frustrate them for them to see that something has inordinate power over them. No one learned about their idols by being told about them.


CT October 20th 2009

2 comments:

Doug P. Baker said...

My father recently lamented that he hadn't cautioned me against the unfortunate marriage that I got into. He took the blame on himself. I had to explain that at the time nothing he could have said would have made the least bit of difference to me. I was bought and sold. I think your post is right, at least for fools like me, that it takes the personal experience of loss to acknowledge the error of our judgement.

Still, doesn't Paul talk to Timothy about a "teachable" man? That man obviously isn't me, but pray God that such a man exists!

The Masked Badger said...

I wish it was otherwise, but so far for me the Bible is correct that the biggest lessons and greatest growth come through suffering.

I'm still working on the 'counting it all joy' part...