Friday, September 04, 2009

#10 Out of the Silent Planet




At some point CS Lewis was bound to appear.

This is one of the firs SF books I read, and maybe one of the first Christian books, as there's a good deal of theology in it too. It's the first of three books featuring professor Ransom (whom, I think, bears some similarities to Tolkien).

On a hike in the English countryside he finds himself a victim of, effectively, a cosmic satanic plot. Drugged, kidnapped and placed on a space-ship he is propelled to Mars - a planet of entirely different creatures ans spiritual forces, and not effected as Earth by the ravages of the Fall.

I got caught up in Lewis' precise and easy prose from page one, and can remember being spellbound to the end, as a teenager, through the exploration of an alien world, and the weaving of the plot around effectively theological ideas.

1 comment:

minternational said...

This listing of books is getting ridiculous....when will I ever get to read all this terrific stuff?

Sounds hugely enjoyable. I bet our obys would love it. In which case, I'll need to go get it for them...

Heard that a local branch of The Works had some sets of Lewis material going for silly prices recently - I hope it's still on!