Friday, August 07, 2009

The Day Off ends

I don't often do this, in fact I never do this, but I want to briefly mention an obit from the news in a vaguely fanzine type way. Writer and director John Hughes died today.

The reason I mention him is, along with millions of other people of a certain age, his work kind of defines my late teenage years. OK, some of his stuff definitely plumbed the depths of teenage prurience (I wouldn't bother with 16 Candles again, and bits of Breakfast Club put me off permanently - though compared to contemporary teen-fare they are fairly AndyPandy).

But Ferris Bueller, Some Kind of Wonderful and, more relevant to a little later in life, She's Having a Baby, were kind of formative moments for me - just hearing the titles brings back endless summers, A-levels, and possibilities. On top of that was his ability to put a soundtrack together - outstanding compared to other fodder of the time. Would Suzanne Vega have made it so big without Left of Centre? Would Don't You (forget about me) be quite so iconic? Yello, Furniture, Flesh for Lulu, Psychedelic Furs, Bryan Ferry covering Van Morrison's Crazy Love.....And so on...

Well, I'm going to stop before I start sounding like a real blogger. But the end of an era all the same.

No comments: